Friday, March 26, 2010

Betty Crocker's Gluten-Free Cake Mix


To celebrate my completion of course requirements for Kellogg, Ernie baked me a gluten free cake with the help of Betty Crocker’s new Gluten Free Cake Mixes. Because I like chocolate, he made a devil’s food cake with a homemade mint icing – similar to the grasshopper cupcake at Swirlz. Check out the picture of the final product:

Ernie’s mom said he slaved over the cake and poured a lot of love into icing it. Do you like the guitar design? I don’t think this was the original design intention, but it was cute none-the-less.

The cake tasted very much like what I remember gluten cake mixes to taste like! The texture was moist and fluffy and didn’t at all taste gritty or crumbly like other mixes can. The mint frosting was an exceptional addition to the chocolate flavor, but you’ll have to ask Ernie for his recipe. You couldn’t tell that the cake was completely gluten-free and it was really worth the effort to make and ice. I ate just about the entire cake with the exception of the 2-3 slices I saved for Ernie.

It’s very exciting to see that traditional food manufacturers are starting to understand the challenges of living gluten-free and are providing solutions to make our lives easier. With the spreading awareness for our glutoid lifestyle, we’re finding more alternatives to the foods we’ve longed for.

Check back later for the review on Betty Crocker’s Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Oh, in case you missed it - I'M DONE WITH MY MBA!  So now I'm down with yet another one of my New Year's Resolutions!

No comments: