Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Go Raw Bars

I went on a bit of a spending spree yesterday at my local Whole Foods buying several gluten-free bars, cereals, cheese curls and cookies to try out so I can share my review with you.

I'm currently snacking on a Go Raw Banana "Bread" Flax bar.  The package is chock full of information, marketing and other tid-bits of information such as "family-owned".  Through all the clutter, they still manage to include a window so you can see the flax seed covered product. The back panel contains all kinds of information about the company, their mission, and other product disclaimers.

The bar itself is quite thin - maybe a half cm or so, yet 6" long and 3" wide.  I thought the bar would be crunchy but once you open the package and tear off a bite, it's quite leathery at first. This texture is probably why the bar is so thin - so you can actually tear it off into smaller bite sizes without looking like a total slob like when you bite into a thick and way too chewy bar that gets stuck in the crevices of your teeth.   Although the texture at first touch was unexpected, you quickly get used to it.

The ingredients are Flax Seeds, Banana, Coconut and Date.  The flax seeds provide protein and bulk, the banana it's primary flavor, the coconut some added texture and the date holds everything together.  At first bite, you can taste the hint of coconut which I could do without since I don't like coconut.  However, as you continue eating, the flavor of the banana comes through with only a hint of crunchyness from the organic flax seeds.  The date paste adds a little sweetness as well.

Overall, I'd give this one a 7 out of 10. On product alone, I would have probably awarded a 6, but the company's committment to a sustainable operation (solar powered facility, biodegradable packaging coming soon) and the organic ingredients bump up the total score by a notch.

At a steep price of $2.99 per bar (the most expensive one purchased yesterday), I will continue trying other gluten-free bars before returning to Go Raw for another flavor.

$2.99
1.2 Oz
120 Calories

No comments: