Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Wheat Grass and Barley Grass in Naked Juice Green Machine

Having just returned from my trip to Jordan, I have no food in my house and have been too tired to go to the grocery store... Today after my morning work-out, I picked up a Naked Juice.  It's been awhile since I've been making my own juices and smoothies, but I figured it was a quick way to get the same nutrients and vitamins. I went directly to an old favorite - the Green Machine.  After downing the entire bottle in less than 10 minutes, I was waiting for a conference call and read the ingredients wondering what made this green liquid so tasty.  Apples, bananas, kiwi, mango, pineapple, broccoli, spinash, barley grass, wheat grass, ginger, parsely... wait a second, back up. Barley Grass and Wheat Grass? Crap!  Are these gluten free? I know wheat grain and barley grain are not gluten-free so I was suspicious and went to my favorite information source: Google.

I found this website that basically said that the grass shouldn't have gluten, but it's still not certain. Bottom line: avoid wheat, barly and rye grass.  Rats!  I suppose I'll see if I have a headache, joint pain or muscle pain in the next few hours. From here on out, I'll pass on the Green Machine drink and opt for other Naked Juices that don't contain wheat or barley grass.

Here is what one poster shared on the bulliten board:
Q: Is barely and wheat grass safe to use in a gluten-free diet? What about sprouts?


A: According to information from USDA research chemists, specializing in wheat gluten and cereal proteins and a statement from the American Association of Cereal Chemists, gluten is found only in the seed kernel (endosperm) and not in the stem and grass leaves. If the grass is cut from a growing plant and does not include the seed kernel, it should be safe for persons with gluten intolerance to use. Wheat and barley grass are promoted as having superior nutrients, however the nutrient composition of the grasses is not superior to eating a variety of fruits and vegetables, which would be overall more healthy and less expensive than using this supplement. Bottom line is that I would stay away from it at this time and eat more fruits and vegetables! My personal and professional choice is not to use these products. Instead, rely on a variety of gluten-free grains, fruits and vegetables for a nutrient-rich diet. Feel that you must include a grass in your diet; I would recommend alfalfa grass instead of the wheat or barley grass.

As for sprouted wheat or other gluten-containing grains. These are sometimes used in breads that claim to be gluten-free. In talking with many of these bread companies, they claim their breads have no gluten, but none can guarantee that the seed kernels are completely removed before the sprouts are used or that their products have been tested for gluten content. This presents an unacceptable risk for persons with gluten intolerance. GIG does not recommend these products on a gluten-free diet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you remember if you got sick from it or not?

Anonymous said...

I just started drinking the Green Machine juice last week and I am very sick today. The website doesn't say does not confirm or deny it being gluten free, so I'm guessing it's not. So disappointed- thought I finally found an easy way to get my nutrients in on the go.

Anonymous said...

I do not know about barley grass, but WHEAT GRASS is gluten free. The gluten is in the "kernel" or the seed of the plant, the grass portion is gluten free.
The website posted below tells you a bit more about it. So I'm sure you're fine drinking Green Machine. I know that I have a gluten allergy and I was okay with it.

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/01/04/wheatgrass-juice-gluten-free

Unknown said...

One of the awesome information about the Wheat Grass and Barley Grass in Naked Juice Green Machine.Thanks for your great information about it.

http://www.optimallyorganic.net/

Unknown said...

Naked juice Green Machine is gluten free. It is that Barley grass content thats auspicious. Not only is it great way to get a low caloric nutrient and energy, it also detoxfies the body. The sick feeling afterwards seems to be another allergen...you may be sensitive to. I am disappointed as well that no one knows if the Barley in there? and if its necessary to be in there at all, at all anyway.

Anonymous said...

hey so if anyone else is wondering this completely makes sense now! Stay away from the drink. I havent done my fair share of research but I have always love the green machine drink from naked specifically, Few years ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease and anytime i eat or have gluten in any form, I throw up almost within a few minutes everytime. I actually came to this post to see if it did have gluten. So if it can it most likly does because its almost rare now for me to have such high flares from gluten so quickly.