Wednesday, January 27, 2010

CLEAN

Ernie and I decided we would dedicate February to the Clean Program. I heard about this program from my classmate, Matt, who had just started this program with his wife. Then, I read about it in a couple of January NY-Resolution magazines.

The premise of this program is that it enables your body to restore its natural ability to heal. I found this to be a fitting way to end my first year of 100% gluten free living. The program was developed by Dr. Junger whose book is available on amazon.com. So far, I find that the book is a helpful guide to starting the program. Rather than regurgitating what's in the book, I'll tell you the good, the bad and the ugly of this 3-week diet. Then, you can decide whether this diet is right for you.



I have a feeling this will be a very time-consuming and expensive diet. Today, I spent almost 2 hours in the store stocking up on the first week worth of food. My first stop was at Jewel where I was able to buy quite a bit of the foods needed for the diet. $163.71 later, I was off to Whole Foods to get the rest of the groceries.

Whole Foods has the random stuff I couldn't find at Jewel, including Organic Currants, Leafy Green Kale, and Raw Agave Syrup. I got caught up talking to Neal, who works at WF, about his own gluten allergy. It's funny how people come out of the woodwork with similar gluten allergies. I also learned his wife is Thai and we talked about my recent trip to Bangkok and Phuket. $18.24 later, I headed home.

Starting Feb 1, I'll post the following information along with a general synopsis of how I'm feeling.

Day: 0
Lbs til Goal: 5
Breakfast Meal: Liquid
Lunch Meal: Solid
Dinner Meal: Liquid
Grocery: $181.95
Thoughts/Feelings: This is going to be expensive... but I hope I have the tenacity to make it through the 3-weeks completely clean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am already proud of you Cindy! It is a big commitment but really left matt and I with a type of indescribable energy and brain high. This probably started happening around week 3. The first three days were the hardest. We also realized how much socializing revolves around eating and drinking!
We found most things at trader joes and whole foods. We were spending about the same amount of money each week because our weekend expenses were hardly anything and we could put that money into the fund for groceries.

We weren't fans of the cold soups and so had either juices or smoothies for breakfast and dinner.

Quinoua was a huge staple and base for out lunches. It is good with fish and broccoli.We still eat lots of things from the clean diet!
enjoy and I can't wait to hear about your experience!

Good luck! Chalice