Monday, February 8, 2010

CLEAN in full swing

DAY: 8
LBS TO GOAL: 2.4

Today marks the CLEAN program in full swing. I finished Elimination Diet week rather unsuccessfully, as I had cheese on both Saturday and Sunday. This could be the reason my weight is up today...er, maybe it was the fries, or wine, or the gluten-free cupcakes. Let's call a spade a spade and say that I spent the weekend eating things I knew I wouldn't taste for the next three weeks.

I knew Saturday would be tough since we celebrated a birthday. But that doesn't make for much of a consolation since in the next three weeks will include Valentines Day and our Anniversary. We'll have to either pick restaurants that can accommodate the CLEAN program, or make meals at home.

Well, whatever. Onward and upward!

WORK-OUT: Short and sweet workout this morning since I was running later than planned:
warm-up run: 0.5 mi, 9 min pace
bench presses: 3 sets, 10 reps, 45 lb bar
shoulder shrugs: 3 sets, 15 reps, 35 lb weights each
chest presses: 3 sets, 15 reps, two 15 lb weights
poliquin curls: 3 sets, 10 reps, two 7.5 lb weights
concentration curls: 3 sets, 10 reps, 15 lb weights each

I'm not as strong as last spring when I was pressing 75 lbs or squatting 105 lbs. But, I am making an effort to retain my muscle mass as I cleanse over the next three weeks. Maybe I can even increase my muscle mass with tougher lifting routines.

Breakfast: Mango, Peach and Blueberry Smoothie
I drank almost a liter of water during my work-out this morning so I wasn't very hungry for breakfast and didn't drink the smoothie until after 10am.

Lunch: Quinoa Salad
I was, however, hungry by the time lunch rolled around and scarfed down the Quinoa Salad that I brought to work. The serving size was approximately a cup and half. I'm feeling pretty full now.

Snack: Sunflower Seeds
I intended to eat almonds, but I left work and forgot them at my desk. Kellogg Kafe didn't have any almonds so I had to choose between sunflower and pistachio. Maybe I should have gone with the pistachio.

We tasted 9 gum samples back-to-back during a meeting today. If you've ever chewed 9 pieces of gum in a row, you know the turmoil my tummy is going through. Sugar-free gum and candy create an immense amount of gas in your digestive system. A true sign that sugar-free products are probably not good for your health. Hope I can make it through class!

Dinner: Avocado, Kale and Spinach Smoothie (with Pineapple to sweeten)
I couldn't even make it through half of this smoothie. I am just plain sick of green smoothies. Of course I was starving by the time I got home from class at 9:45pm. I made a little snack of zucchini and hummus. Then, I got the bright idea to mix cubed avocado, red onion, cilantro, celery and lime together for a make-shift salsa. It was actually pretty good! But since it was so late eating, I have to wait til 10am to eat breakfast because of the 12 hour 'fasting'!

GROCERIES: $276.21
This seems like a LOT to be spending on groceries for 1.4 people (sometimes Ernie eats with me), after all it's only been 2 weeks. On the flip-side, it's proving to be difficult to eat at restaurants so I'm hoping to reallocate what I'd normally spend on restaurants towards my grocery bill.

TIP: To make your greens last longer, wrap your veggies with 1 sheet of Bounty Paper Towels to keep the moisture from rotting the veggies. Still, leafy greens will only last you 1.5 to 2 weeks max.

Clean: The Revolutionary Program to Restore the Body's Natural Ability to Heal Itself

No comments: