To prepare, I bought two travel books: Lonely Planet and Rough Guides. I found the Rough Guide a bit better in the planning, however, both are outdated in their pricing which seems kind of ridic since they were published in Aug and Sept 2009.
We're all set to stay and visit with Mike, my friend from High School, for the first three nights. He lives in Iribid, near Amman. Then we're off to the south for some adventure tours! Here's what I'm looking forward to:
- Jaresh & a reinactment of the old Roman Chariot Races
- Floating in the Dead Sea
- Dipping into the Ma'in Hot Springs
- Seeing the mosaics at Mandaba
- Exploring Petra by day and candlit by night
- Sleeping in the starlit deserts of Wadi Rum
- Snorkling in the Red Sea in Aqaba
- Eating all the falafel possible
- Catching up with Mike whom I haven't seen since before he left to study at INSEAD in France
Lastly, I'm bringing along a book recommended by Tracy: Shantaram: A Novel. Let me know if you have any other book recommendations!